Eight years ago, we decided to skip Christmas gifts and do a family TRIP instead. Little did we know, this would become our FAVORITE FAMILY TRADITION!
With Ross getting older, it was such a treat to take him to the place he’s always wanted to see- New York City!
I’ve had a few people ask, so here’s my take-aways:
We didn’t, but SHOULD have:
- …walked the Brooklyn Bridge.
- …visited museums.
- …taken advantage of the FREE museum days! (Tickets must be reserved in advance. It’s only available on certain days.)
- …had more time to explore Central Park.
- …checked out Little Island and The High Line.
I’m GLAD we:
- …used the SUBWAY! It was easy AND cheap!
- …stayed at an AirBNB! We weren’t super close to the main attractions (to save money), but just a few minutes from the subway. It was really neat to experience a super-small apartment for 5 days.
- …splurged to see The Music Man on Broadway with Hugh Jackman (or any Broadway play)!
- …utilized the Roosevelt Island Tramway (subway fare) and Staten Island Ferry (free).
- …ate at family-owned (no chain) restaurants.
- …packed light! (We each only brought one backpack. It was very helpful with navigating subways and streets.)